Over the past six months, I am very happy to say I have been making great progress. But as IT goes with anything it's very much the same in development.
Sometimes you eat the bear & sometimes the bear eats you.
My hot streak has dried up in these last few weeks, and I find myself running in circles. I've clocked a few hours shy of the One Thousand mark chasing this goal. After hitting back to back dead ends, I recently pursued a roll back throwing away nearly two months of progress. All of this and now another dead end, leaving me with a muddled code base, a general confusion and lack of direction.
Here I find myself trying to recoup my thoughts, inspiration, and motivation - with a few words for my future self or anyone who finds themselves lost down a similar long and winding path.
Ideas are the most fragile thing in existence.
- know when to nurture yours and play it close to your chest
- practice discerning the bad, good & great... time is your limitation, do you really want to invest in THIS one.
- learn when to shelve the not so great, and cull the bad before they start wasting your time.
Find your Muse / Motivation / Inspiration ( whatever you want to call it)
- That thing that gets you amped. Learn to summon it at will, you will need it.
Master your craft
- Become as technically proficient as you can and don't forget to learn the theory
SHOW UP and Work Through it, ESPECIALLY if you can't find your Motivation
- Not everyone can just roll out of bed and do this.
- Figure out what you need to get your head in the game, eliminate distractions, get some caffeine in your veins, make it your routine
Lost? Step back, Plan then R&D...
- Keep one clear goal, focus and always make sure you are working towards it
If you've got to fail... Fail Fast... but LEARN SOMETHING PLEASE!
Write about it... especially
evenif you hate doing it
- Take notes, write things down, share with the world
- I know this one is scary, but that's why you have to do it. Publicly express your knowledge, this means double check your facts and get it right.
Chumbawamba (...horrible 90s reference aside)